|Location||Avon Region, Western Australia|
|Development Stage||Advanced Exploration - new discovery in March 2020|
|Acquired||Staked in 2018 and subsequently expanded|
The 100%-owned Julimar Nickel-Copper-PGE Project is located ~70km north-east of Perth. The Project is favourably located, with world-class road, rail, port and high-voltage power infrastructure nearby, plus access to a significant 'drive-in / drive-out' mining workforce in Perth surrounds.
The Julimar Project was staked in early 2018 as part of Chalice's global search for high-potential nickel sulphide exploration opportunities.
Chalice discovered the Gonneville deposit in the very first drill hole at the project in March 2020, intersecting shallow high-grade PGE-nickel-copper-cobalt-gold sulphide mineralisation. Gonneville is located on private farmland at the southern end of the interpreted >30km long Julimar Complex.
The significant Gonneville discovery has defined the new West Yilgarn Ni-Cu-PGE Province, an almost entirely unexplored mineral province which is interpreted to extend for ~1,200km along the western margin of the Yilgarn Craton. Chalice holds an unrivalled >8,000km2 land position in this exciting new area and is leveraging its competitive ‘first mover’ advantage.
WATCH: Take a 3D tour of the Gonneville deposit.
Chalice has defined a tier-1 scale mineral resource estimate for Gonneville, now the largest nickel sulphide discovery worldwide since 20001, and the largest PGE discovery in Australian history – demonstrating the potential for Julimar to become a strategic, long-life ‘green metals’ asset.
Updated Indicated and Inferred Mineral Resource Estimate - Gonneville Deposit:
- 350Mt @ 0.94g/t Pd+Pt+Au (3E), 0.16% Ni, 0.10% Cu, 0.015% Co (~0.58% NiEq or ~1.8g/t PdEq)
- 11Moz 3E, 560kt Ni, 360kt Cu and 54kt Co contained
- Equivalent to ~2.0Mt NiEq or ~20Moz PdEq contained
The higher-grade sulphide component of the Resource (>0.6%NiEq cut-off in-pit plus underground) has also increased to:
- 82Mt @ 1.7g/t 3E, 0.21% Ni, 0.20% Cu, 0.020% Co (~1.0% NiEq or ~2.9g/t PdEq);
- Containing 4.5Moz 3E, 180kt Ni, 170kt Cu, 16kt Co (~790kt NiEq or ~7.7Moz PdEq);
For further details, including the Mineral Resource Tables and JORC Tables, please refer to the Updated Gonneville Mineral Resource announcement, dated 8 July 2022.
The Gonneville deposit is interpreted to cover just ~7% of the >30km long Julimar Complex (Figure 2.) Drilling has commenced testing a series of co-incident EM-gravity-soil targets north of Gonneville along the Julimar Complex, with four diamond rigs currently operating.
Initial diamond drill testing of the greenfield Dampier Target, located 10km north of Gonneville, has generated exciting early visual results. A ~15m to 80m wide zone of disseminated sulphides (avg. 1.3% sulphide), with locally abundant matrix sulphides (up to 20-30% sulphide), has been intersected in ultramafic-mafic intrusive rocks (pyroxenite, lesser gabbro/peridotite in three wide-spaced holes (HD009, 101 & HD013).
This is the first significant indication of orthomagmatic sulphide mineralisation outside of the Gonneville Deposit itself and is considered an exciting result which demonstrates the highly prospective nature of the untested part of the >30km long Julimar Intrusive Complex, with several nearby targets located along strike now prioritised for immediate drilling.
Chalice's ongoing exploration drilling program in the Julimar State Forest is utilising small footprint diamond drill rigs and does not involve any mechanised clearing of vegetation or excavation.
Comprehensive flora, fauna and culture heritage surveys and monitoring are being used according to industry best practice. The low-impact program is strictly governed by a Conservation Management Plan approved by the WA Government in late 2021.
For further information including the latest assay results please visit our ASX Announcements.
1 Source: S&P Global Market Intelligence, Capital IQ
The next major milestones for the Julimar Project are the Gonneville Mineral Resource Estimate update (due shortly) and the Gonneville Scoping Study, which is targeted for Q3 2022. The Company continues to progress development studies for the Gonneville Deposit in parallel to testing the overall scale of the Gonneville mineral system and initial exploration activities across the >30km long Julimar Complex.
The following activities are ongoing or planned at the Project:
- Exploration drilling at the Hartog-Dampier Targets within the Julimar State Forest - four diamond drill rigs are currently operational and expected to continue for the foreseeable future. Existing approvals allow multiple holes to be drilled from each of the ~70 planned sites.
- Moving Loop Electromagnetic (MLEM) and Down-hole EM surveys are continuing across the Julimar Complex.
- Resource definition and exploration RC/diamond drilling at the Gonneville Deposit - three rigs are operated, largely focused on wide-spaced extensional exploration drilling which is expected to continue for the foreseeable future, subject to results.
- Processing of the initial 2D seismic survey of the Gonneville-Hartog area is underway, which was acquired to assess the overall architecture of the intrusive complex at depth - results are expected in Q3.
- Mine development studies to support a Scoping Study for the initial development stage of the Gonneville Deposit.
- Baseline surveys of ground water, surface water, flora, fauna and dieback, as part of a long-term baseline and monitoring program to support engineering studies and environmental assessments (ongoing).
For the latest information please refer to our Investor Presentation.
For information on Chalice's activities within the local area, please refer to our Fact Sheets on the Community - Julimar Project page.
The Julimar Nickel Project was staked in early 2018 and is 100% owned.